The ultimate goal for GSA is to become a centralized, global portal for the cataract blindness community of NGOs, clinical researchers, ophthalmologists and other eye care professionals.
The Global Sight Alliance is formed with the purpose of centralizing education and communication about the fight against cataract blindness including some of the following:
- volunteer opportunities – similar to the current Missioneyes.net search function which can match volunteers with organizations looking for help
- evidence based studies – an online library of key studies and articles that relate to cataract surgery and MSICS in the developing world setting.
- blogs and reports from doctors on the front lines – this is one way for volunteers to share their experiences with other interested individuals, as well as to engage newly interested health care professionals
- resources for planning support trips – this provides information and help for those planning a support trip.
- educational libraries – this includes surgical teaching videos and lectures, PPT presentations, and non-scientific published articles
- links to pertinent agencies and other organization’s websites
- discussion groups – this uses the ASCRS listserv format to facilitate online discussion and advice